Friday 15 April 2016

Getting started...

I’m writing this blog to answer the question of why I no longer call myself a Christian. I’ll be saying why I don’t believe in the God that Christians believe in, why I don’t believe the things that Christians believe about Jesus and why I think some of the ideas in Christianity may even be harmful.

But on the positive side I’ll also be referring to the teaching of Jesus and bringing out what I think some of it says to a post-Christian society.

Why the teaching of Jesus? Firstly of course because that’s what I’m most familiar with out of all the religions and philosophies in the world, after over 30 years ‘on the inside’. But also because, since realising that I don’t believe, I’ve actually found some of his teaching more engaging and relevant than I did before. As a Christian, the teaching of Jesus always took a back seat compared with the church’s teachings about him. Now that I’m free of the latter, I’ve found the freedom to examine the former on its own terms.

What I’ve found in the teaching of Jesus is a concern to set people free from the shackles of religion and to help them live a more contented and peaceful life. And that matches very well with what I’d like for myself and for the world.

2 comments:

  1. I have very much been enjoying the liberal theology of Bishop John Shelby Spong over recent months, as someone who can not accept the inherited Christianity with it's book and doctrine worship, but doesn't want to let go of the Christ element. It makes quite a lot of sense to me at the moment, and I think it should be called liberting theology not liberal theology!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for recommending Spong. I haven't read any of his books yet. I have read some from another liberal bishop, Richard Holloway, who also tries to construct a positive version of Christianity without a God and without dogma. I'd recommend "Doubts and Loves". I haven't yet read his earlier and more famous book "Godless Morality" but I think it would be good. I suppose I might call myself a Christian Atheist, but generally avoid the word Christian because of what it normally means.

      Delete